Tuesday, November 3

I think I'm ready to face it........

By 'it' of course I mean the trauma that is a Masterchef audition........what was I thinking dear reader??? A more stressful, (and ultimatly fruitless) few days I cant remember, clearly I have a temprement (not to mention face and DOB)  for blogging, not TV. While my gravy let me down (it was a bit tough caramalising onions on a nuclear commercial hob for a novice I'm afraid....), my new improved yorkshire pudding batter was rather fabulous, when I can bear to even think about Toad In the Hole again I will happily share it with you.
So blog I shall. It has been a while, as you can see I am still playing with the layout. I got myself a couple of photography mags (I had to look apature up in the dictionary...), and have been practising but we still have a way to go.........!
Supper last night was rather lovely, a piece of snapper lightly coated in flour and egg, then shallow fried with steamed asparagus, all swathed in hollandaise sauce, yummy. The sauce took all of five minutes in a little bowl over a pan of simmering water, honestly.......
Take one egg yolk and place in said bowl, with a teaspoon of lemon juice,a teaspoon of white wine vinegar,  salt and pepper. Pop over a small saucepan of simmering water, so the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water, and use a small whisk (mine came free off the front of a cooking mag years ago, it's perfect....) to combine. Keep whisking while the mix heats up gently, then start adding in cubes of cold unsalted butter, I used about 50 grams. I know just reading that is giving you a pain in the chest, but bear with me.....keep adding your butter while contiuously whisking to emulsify, and also avoid the sauce overheating, which turns it into an oily mess and makes you cry. If this looks at all possible simply lift the bowl away from the water and whisk like mad. Taste and add more lemon if you like. Delicious, just dont have it every day....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say, please feel free to comment:)